Friday, October 30, 2009

Feature : Dawn Correspondence



Welcome to my first FEATURE FRIDAY where I feature fabulous Etsyians.  I've been wanting to do this for quite awhile and finally got my act together -- not only did I want to celebrate some of my favorite artists and crafters, but I find that I gather inspiration from learning about those that I admire.  Not all of the questions are your typical artist questions, but aim at different ways to get to know the artists we love!

Today, please meet Amanda of Dawn Correspondence.  Amanda creates beautifully fresh stationary for all your occasions.  Please check out both of her lovely shops at Etsy and Artfire and also follow her along with her blog!  Every day she serves up some fantastic ideas and items.  Thanks Amanda for participating!

(1) Tell me a bit about you! 
I grew up and still live in Richmond, VA! I left for a few years to go to college, but other than that, I really enjoy Richmond, so I chose to come back here. It's such a great, eclectic city for artists. I have to be doing something at all times - relaxing is a very hard task for me, and I have to concentrate really hard to relax at all!

(2) How would you describe your work in 5 words or less? 
Clean, simple, and colorful designs.



(3) Where are you right now and name 10 things surrounding you?
I am in my newly organized office! It's such a great feeling to have everything in it's proper place! I am surrounded by 3 dogs (Phoebe, Kip, and Bella!), 2 shelves chock-full of envelopes and paper products (see above!), an Epson printer, a cabinet full of ribbon, a painting I did years ago that gives me inspiration from time to time, a photo of my grandmother who has passed, and an easel for the day that I have time to actually pull it out and paint again!

(4) If money was no object, where are the top three places you would want to travel to and why?  
I would love to travel to Australia, Italy, and South Africa. They all seem extremely inspirational to me - the art, the food, the natural surroundings. I get most of my inspiration from nature, so I know I would get some amazing ideas and inspiration in these locations!

(5) Do you have a favorite item of clothing and why?
I have a pair of navy blue sweats I cannot seem to give up. They have paint stains all over them, and the string to tighten them is long gone, so I have to continuously tug at them, but they are SO comfy. They are my go-to pants when I want to spend the day at home crafting. They have been with me through bad times, good times, exciting times, and quiet times, so they hold a lot of memories.

(6) Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert? 
That's a toughie. It really depends on my mood. I try to enjoy each meal of the day. It's the one time I can relax and spend time with my friends or family without feeling like I need to be working. I am a sucker for brownies, though! That can be breakfast, can't it??




One of Amanda's holiday cards

(7) Where do you draw inspiration from? 
Almost all my inspiration comes from nature. It's the time I feel most relaxed and actually take the time to sit and enjoy my surroundings. Whether it be on a long drive, sitting on the porch, or at the park, I always come home with so many ideas I have the energy to start creating new items.

(8) What has been your most memorable sale? 
 Probably one of my very first sales offline when I first started selling my items. A friend of a friend of a friend's daughter ordered wedding invitations, rehearsal dinner invitations, and thank you notes. It was such an exciting and nerve-racking time for me. I poured my heart into that order to make sure it was perfect. To this day, I still sell those exact items! It was also a GREAT order for so early in the game for me!



(9) What is your favorite item in your shop right now?
I am currently loving my "You're a Breath of Fresh Air" card, because it has a great story behind it. My boyfriend quit smoking a few months ago, and his strength to quit with NO outside help (from medication, patches, etc.) inspired me to create note cards specifically for individuals who have quit smoking. The Breath of Fresh Air card is my most recent, and was designed for scientific and aesthetic purposes. Smokers who quit begin to feel the effects of more oxygen in their system within hours (this is what sometimes makes smoking so hard to quit - they are not used to the extra oxygen and it makes them feel sick). My note card is based on that fact, and of course just general encouragement for the recipient of the card!

(10) Can you describe the process by which your create your pieces? 
My process generally changes, however there is a simple underlying process I try to follow with each project or order. I keep an ongoing list of ideas in a notebook, and to create a new or custom item I always refer to that notebook. Once I find something that matches what I'd like (or need) to create, I will begin sketching out an idea directly onto the computer. Most of the time I'll get a general idea, leave it for a few hours or overnight, and then come back to it for fine-tuning. I'll print a final proof, usually get feedback from the buyer and/or family members and friends, and then print the final product!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for featuring me today, Jackie! I had so much fun doing it, and it was such an honor to be featured on your blog! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great feature - love her work :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin